Saturday, July 24, 2010

Reputation and the Internet

Today I saw this video about how the internet can ruin someone's reputation:



The video does make a valid point in that the internet does give people the power to publish whatever they want, the good and bad. However, I also feel that this video was meant for CNN to pat itself on the back for its efforts to reveal "the truth". The argument is set up to make it sound like the internet is out of control and that news media is the only source for people to get unbiased information on current events. We are warned that the internet gives people the power to ruin someone's life, sometimes to the point of suicide. While I do agree that the internet can be used in this way, it isn't like rumors and gossip at the national and global level are new. I would argue that tabloids do the exact same thing to celebrities. All forms of media come with their potential missuses, and all reported news (whether it be from your best friend or Fox) has some sort of bias. As always, I want to hear what you have to say, I know I skipped over some points made in the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment